There is nothing more appealing on a cold winter's night than a blazing fireplace and the warm glow of candles. Burning the Yule log on the hearth gives a sense of winter warmth and holiday cheer.
To keep the home fires burning safely, follow these safety tips from the Branford Fire Department, Branford, Ontario.
- Do not burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons or other types of packing material in a fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat for that type of structure.
- Remove your Christmas stockings from the fireplace mantel when the fireplace is in use.
- Always use a screen in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks.
- Never use gasoline or other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Use only seasoned and dried wood. Do not use pressure treated wood.
- Clean ashes regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and store outside away from combustible or flammable materials.