Decorating your home with lights can cause an electrical fire hazard if not done carefully. The Hartford, an insurance and financial services company, offers some valuable suggestions on safe outdoor illumination.
- Do not overload electric outlets with too many electrical devices or extension cords.
- Carefully examine all Christmas tree lights and other electrical decorations for fraying or loose connections.
- Use only safety-lab approved (UL listings) indoor and outdoor lights.
- To fasten lights to rooflines, use insulated staples. Nails or tacks can short wires and spark a fire.
- Do not use indoor lights on trees outside.
- Use only heavy-duty extension cords that are designed for outdoor use. Plug them into grounded exterior outlets only.