If you plan to take advantage of mild winter weather to hang up outdoor lights, consider the risks. The Hartford, an insurance and financial services company, cautions that dangerous falls can occur when installing outdoor decorations. To avoid accidents, The Hartford has the following suggestions.
- Use a ladder that is sturdy, well built and in good condition.
- Make sure it is angled about 75 degrees and the footings are secured.
- Do not try to reach too far; instead, move the ladder.
- Avoid climbing on wet or frost-covered roofs.
- Similarly, do not climb a ladder with wet or muddy shoes. You can easily slip off the rungs.