Holiday preparations are coming together and the hustle of the season is drawing to a close. It is Dec. 24 and some people will spend the next two days cooking and entertaining friends and family.
The kitchen is the busiest room in the house during the holiday season. The smell of Christmas cooking fills the home and draws us all to the kitchen.
Take time during your meal preparations to be sure your kitchen is safe.
The Brantford Fire Department, Brantford, Ontario, offers the following tips to prevent grease or kitchen fires.
- Should a fire occur in a pot, never try to move the pot. Instead smother the flames by covering with a lid.
- Turn off the heat immediately.
- Baking soda can be used on small fires if no lid is available. Never use flour or salt, it can be explosive.
- Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire.
- Never throw water on a grease fire.
From all of us at Occupational Hazards magazine and Occupationalhazards.com, have a very safe and joyous holiday season!