OSHA: Electrocution Death of Albany, N.Y., Nightclub Worker Was Preventable

OSHA has hit an Albany, N.Y., nightclub with two alleged serious citations and $5,000 in proposed fines following the electrocution death of an employee. The agency says the incident never should have happened.

Angelo Russomano, 35, a maintenance worker and door host at Jillian's nightclub in downtown Albany, was killed June 17 when he touched an exposed 230-volt electrical contact while attempting to fix a leak in a commercial dishwasher.

OSHA's inspection found that, in addition to the exposed live electrical part, the dishwasher had not been de-energized prior to beginning the repair work and the worker had not been trained in working with or around live electricity. The tragedy could have been prevented with a combination of training and proper work practices, OSHA says.

"This accident need not have occurred," said John Tomich, OSHA's Albany area director. "It's vital that workers be properly and effectively trained before working with electricity. This is a textbook example of what can happen when workers are not trained so they can recognize and prevent potentially deadly hazards."

JBC Entertainment Corp. of Albany, N.Y., which operates Jillian's nightclub, has been cited for two alleged serious violations of workplace safety standards following an OSHA inspection that was launched June 18.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish