"America's workers will benefit from the diverse perspectives and expertise of these committee members who will be working with the department in advancing workplace safety and health," Chao said.
The committee, established under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 and administered by OSHA, advises the Secretaries of Labor and Health and Human Services on occupational safety and health programs. Members of the advisory committee are chosen on the basis of their knowledge and experience in occupational safety and health.
"I believe we have struck the right chord in assembling this group of skilled experts," said OSHA Administrator Edwin Foulke Jr. "We sought out nominees from varied backgrounds, and that is what we achieved. Each appointee brings vast knowledge and unique insights that will help assist us in our mission to assure a safe and healthful workplace."
The newly appointed members are:
- Barbara McCabe, program manager, International Union of Operating Engineers
- Jennifer Marie Bailey, safety manager, American Cast Iron Pipe Co.
- Karl A. Jacobson, senior vice president, loss prevention, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group
- Susan Randolph, clinical instructor, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
The following three members of the committee were reappointed:
- Douglas Kalinowski, director, Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Vickie Wells, director, Occupational Safety and Health, San Francisco Department of Public Health
- Kevin M. Sommers, Warren Michigan Police Department, Fraternal Order of Police, Grand Lodge
Continuing members of the committee include:
- Alan C. McMillan, president and chief executive officer, National Safety Council
- Catherine L. Thomsen, project lead for special research initiatives, California Breast Cancer Research Program, Office of the President, University of California
- Emory Knowles III, manager, industrial hygiene and safety, Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Dr. James Blessman, assistant professor, Wayne State University
- Jim Swartz, director, Corporate Safety and Compliance, Delta Airlines