Attorneys Explain Terrorism Insurance Act

Nov. 22, 2002
The new Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002 will benefit both business and the insurance industry, say attorneys at Morris Manning & Martin LLP. The law firm, which has a national insurance practice, is actively educating clients about the new law.

"The insurance industry was able to absorb the losses from the September 11th attacks, but until now, future attacks raised the prospect of bankruptcy," says Tom Player, chairman of Morris, Manning & Martin's Insurance & Reinsurance Group. "This act establishes a federal backstop which allows the insurance industry to provide needed terrorism coverage while maintaining financial solvency."

"The Secretary of the Treasury is granted substantial authority to exercise discretion over the implementation of this program," adds Robert "Skip" Myers, head of Morris, Manning & Martin's Washington, D.C. office. "This could have a substantial impact on the business of insurance."

The law, which will take effect as soon as President George W. Bush signs the bill, is effective through the end of 2005. It establishes a Terrorism Insurance Program within the Treasury Department, which provides government backing for insurers if the country sustains another serious loss from an attack by foreign terrorists.

Insurers will be required to offer terrorism coverage, and the federal government will act as a backstop for severe losses. The provisions will be invoked only if the treasury secretary, attorney general and secretary of state declare an act of terrorism has taken place.

Once an attack is certified as terrorism, insurers must pay losses up to an amount based on each insurer's premiums earned the previous year. The federal government pays 90 percent of losses above the deductible, and the insurer pays the other 10 percent.

If the terrorism takes place after the president signs the bill, but before 2002 ends, insurers have a deductible equal to 1 percent of their direct earned premiums. Next year the deductible would be 7 percent, rising to 15 percent for the following year. Losses paid above the deductible would be capped at $100 billion a year, unless Congress authorizes a higher amount.

Following a loss, insurers must collect a surcharge on future property and casualty premiums to assist the government to recoup part of its payout. The insurance industry retains a limit of $10 billion in risk the first year, $12.5 billion the second year, and $15 billion in the third.

Property and casualty insurers must participate for the first two years of the program, and possibly a third. The secretary of state could extend the act to cover life insurance if needed.

Insurance-related torts resulting from terrorism would be handled in federal court. The program does not cover punitive damages.

For more information about the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002, contact Tom Player, chairman of Morris, Manning & Martin's Insurance & Reinsurance Group at (404) 233-7000.

About the Author

Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith is the former content director of EHS Today, and is currently the EHSQ content & community lead at Intelex Technologies Inc. She has written about occupational safety and health and environmental issues since 1990.

Sponsored Recommendations

Free Webinar: ISO 45001 – A Commitment to Occupational Health, Safety & Personal Wellness

May 30, 2024
Secure a safer and more productive workplace using proven Management Systems ISO 45001 and ISO 45003.

ISO 45003 – Psychological Health and Safety at Work

May 30, 2024
ISO 45003 offers a comprehensive framework to expand your existing occupational health and safety program, helping you mitigate psychosocial risks and promote overall employee...

DH Pace, national door and dock provider, reduces TRIR and claims with EHS solution

May 29, 2024
Find out how DH Pace moved from paper/email/excel to an EHS platform, changing their culture. They reduced TRIR from 4.8 to 1.46 and improved their ability to bid on and win contracts...

Case Study: Improve TRIR from 4+ to 1 with EHS Solution and Safety Training

May 29, 2024
Safety training and EHS solutions improve TRIR for Complete Mechanical Services, leading to increased business. Moving incidents, training, and other EHS procedures into the digital...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of EHS Today, create an account today!