National Safety Month Focuses on Motor Vehicle Crashes

June 17, 2004
The theme of this year's National Safety Month is "Crash-Free June," focusing on the leading cause of injury death in America: motor vehicle crashes.

"Crash-Free June" is a month-long initiative to change driver behavior that causes crashes. In 2002, there were 6.3 million motor vehicle crashes in the United States reported to law enforcement authorities, resulting in 2.3 million disabling injuries and 44,000 deaths. The National Safety Ccouncil estimates the total cost to society of these crashes to be $242.7 billion - representing a cost of more than $800 per year for every American.

Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of injury death in America and of injury death at work. Motor vehicle crashes are the eighth leading cause of death overall (behind heart disease, cancer, stroke, chronic lower respiratory disease, diabetes, influenza and pneumonia, and Alzheimer's disease).

The NSC estimates that driver behavior contributes to 90 percent of all motor vehicle crashes. Crashes that were solely caused by vehicle or external factors account for the other 10 percent of crashes. Several specific driver behaviors and errors account for a significant portion of these crashes.

"Every day in America, an average of 120 people die in motor vehicle crashes," said NSC President Alan McMillan. "There are a number of behavioral and skills issues that contribute to these fatalities and multiple factors are at work in some crashes. About 50 of these daily victims die in crashes in which alcohol use is a factor. Speeding is a factor in about 40 of these daily deaths. Drivers who lose control of their vehicles, resulting in rollovers, are involved in crashes that kill about 25 people per day. Teen drivers are involved in crashes resulting in about 25 fatalities each day. Each death is a personal, local tragedy. Taken together, however, these deaths represent a serious national public health issue."

He said the ultimate goal of Crash-Free June is to eliminate motor vehicle crashes, injuries and deaths. "Some may view this goal as unattainable," McMillan admitted, "but striving for zero injuries is the ultimate goal of any safety initiative. Making measurable progress toward this goal will require that motorists develop new driving behaviors. We believe that people who make real changes in their driving behavior during Crash-Free June will adopt those behaviors and exhibit them on a continuing basis. We are hopeful that this national initiative to improve driver behavior will contribute to a safer driving culture with fewer crashes and injuries in June and in the months and years to follow."

The NSC is calling on employers to designate Crash-Free June in their organizations and adopt education and training programs for their employees and families. The group is encouraging families to discuss driver behavior and skills issues, particularly with young and novice drivers, and to take driver training programs offered online and by local NSC chapters and training agencies.

About the Author

Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith is the former content director of EHS Today, and is currently the EHSQ content & community lead at Intelex Technologies Inc. She has written about occupational safety and health and environmental issues since 1990.

Sponsored Recommendations

Free Webinar: ISO 45001 – A Commitment to Occupational Health, Safety & Personal Wellness

May 30, 2024
Secure a safer and more productive workplace using proven Management Systems ISO 45001 and ISO 45003.

ISO 45003 – Psychological Health and Safety at Work

May 30, 2024
ISO 45003 offers a comprehensive framework to expand your existing occupational health and safety program, helping you mitigate psychosocial risks and promote overall employee...

DH Pace, national door and dock provider, reduces TRIR and claims with EHS solution

May 29, 2024
Find out how DH Pace moved from paper/email/excel to an EHS platform, changing their culture. They reduced TRIR from 4.8 to 1.46 and improved their ability to bid on and win contracts...

Case Study: Improve TRIR from 4+ to 1 with EHS Solution and Safety Training

May 29, 2024
Safety training and EHS solutions improve TRIR for Complete Mechanical Services, leading to increased business. Moving incidents, training, and other EHS procedures into the digital...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of EHS Today, create an account today!