To offer protection at either work or home from a natural disaster, terrorist attack or other emergency, gather the following items to build a survival kit:
- Food staples – bottled water, canned food, instant coffee, peanut butter, raisins, soup, dried nuts, high energy protein bars.
- Lighting – flashlights with extra batteries, candles, matches.
- Medical kit – bandages, gauze pads, adhesive tape, aspirin, antiseptic, hand sanitizer.
- Other basics – radio with batteries, toilet paper, paper towels, whistles, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, paper cups, bowls and plates.
- Amusement – deck of cards, dice or board games.
Store items in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and keep food separate from other supplies.
Vehicle Safety Kit
Traveling in winter weather can be especially dangerous, so be prepared with these supplies:
- Jumper cables
- Extra batteries
- Road flares
- Help sign
- Ice scraper
- Multi-purpose tool
- First aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Bottled water
- Food staples
- Tire repair kit
- Duct tape
- Paper towels
- Two quarts of oil
Visit www.yoursurvival.com for more tips or to learn about the Your Survival guide, which comes complete with checklists to help prepare for natural disasters, terrorist attacks or other emergencies.