As temperatures cool, it is important to remember that there is more to heating a house than just turning on the pilot light. Improperly installed or poorly maintained natural gas appliances and furnaces may produce carbon monoxide. Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause nausea, drowsiness, other flu-like symptoms, or even death.
This month, set some time apart from your holiday preparations to make sure that your home is safe. San Diego Gas & Electric offers the following tips to ensure the safe and efficient operation of furnaces.
- Look at relighting instructions before you light your furnace pilot.
- Check the color of the flame. It should be predominately blue. White flecks of orange are normal; however, a predominantly yellow flame indicates a condition that could produce carbon monoxide.
- Vacuum regularly around the furnace to prevent a build-up of dust and lint.
- Never store items in, on or around a furnace that can obstruct air flow.