Avoid hazardous slips and falls off-the-job this winter. The Hartford, an international insurance and financial services company, offers the following hints to prevent accidents while enjoying your holidays.
- Prevent slips and falls on icy walkways and steps by keeping them clear of snow and ice.
- Be prepared for bad weather; stock up on sand and road salt before the first flakes begin to fall.
- Clear walkways, sidewalks, porches and entrances of any obstructions such as toys, bikes, fallen leaves and gardening equipment.
- Keep entrances, porches, yards and sidewalks well lit.
- When installing outdoor decorations, use a ladder that is sturdy, well built and in good condition. Make sure it is angled about 75 degrees and the footings are secured.
- Don''t climb a wet or frost-covered roof; you risk slipping off. Similarly, don''t climb a ladder with wet or muddy shoes.
by Virginia Sutcliffe