OSHA cited Global Protein Foods Inc., Valley Cottage, N.Y., and proposed penalties of $142,500 against the firm, for various violations of OSHA standards.
The citations result from an inspection of the company''s facilities conducted from Oct. 19, 2000, through Jan. 3, 2001, following a complaint of unsafe working conditions, according to Phillip Piest, OSHA area director.
OSHA cited the company for three alleged willful violations:
- failure to ensure that employees used appropriate eye protection and failure to provide an eye wash for employees.
- failure to properly guard machinery.
- failure to keep exit areas free from obstructions.
- The alleged willful violations carry a total proposed penalty of $132,000.
The company also received seven OSHA citations for alleged serious violations:
- failure to maintain floors in as dry a condition as possible.
- failure to keep aisles in good repair.
- failure to properly store oxygen and acetylene cylinders.
- failure to provide unobstructed access to circuit breaker panels.
- failure to provide covers for electrical boxes.
- failure to keep an outside exit area free from ice.
- failure to develop, implement and maintain a hazard communication program.
The alleged serious violations carry a total proposed penalty of $10,500.
In addition, the company received a citation for not providing hand soap in the lavatories.
The company has until May 7, to contest the citations.
by Virginia Sutcliffe