Scot Forge Co.
quotCompliance officers will tell you that less than 10 percent of the injuries on the OSHA 300 log are the result of a missing OSHA program I was thinking to myself lsquoWhat are we doing the other 90 percent of the timersquo We were our own worst enemyrdquo said John P McGillivray manager of safety and environmental for Scot Forge Inc

SLC 2016: Advice from America’s Safest Companies: Scot Forge

Sept. 26, 2016
John P. McGillivray, manager of safety and environmental for Scot Forge Co., explained to attendees of the Safety Leadership Conference in Pittsburgh that the company was its own worst enemy when it came to safety culture.

“Forging a Culture of Safety Excellence" is not an easy thing to do in a high-hazard industries like foundries and forging, John P. McGillivray, manager of safety and environmental for Scot Forge Inc., explained to attendees at the 2016 Safety Leadership Conference in Pittsburgh.

In 1997, “We sent 107 people to the clinic/hospital out of a total shop population of  375 people,” he acknowledged. The company’s TIR rate was 25. The DART rate was 7.5. The company spent $1 million in workers’ compensation expenses.

Looking back at 1997’s safety performance, McGillivray examined some of the factors that existed at the time:

  • The culture placed getting product out the door above all else. “What” was accomplished was emphasized more than “how” it was accomplished.
  • The company and industry had an old-school mentality about safety.
  • History “regularly” repeated itself.
  • There was no engagement of the workforce.
  • There were limited pro-active safety activities.

“When I arrived at Scot Forge, the safety manual was ‘borrowed’ from another local company. Everywhere the original company’s name appeared, it was meticulously crossed out and ‘Scot Forge’ was written above it,” McGillivray remembered.

What did the $1 million in workers’ compensation payments earn the company? “This letter from OSHA saying, ‘Scot Forge, you suck,’” said McGillivray. The company was placed on OSHA’s primary inspection list for a comprehensive safety and health inspection.

What McGillivray realized, and needed to reinforce to leadership, was that “it’s not the Code of Federal Suggestions. You are required [to comply with] the requirements of OSHA standards.” But being in full compliance is not enough to stop employees from getting hurt. Compliance is “not a destination; it’s a starting point,” he added.

“Compliance officers will tell you that less than 10 percent of the injuries on the OSHA 300 log are the result of a missing OSHA program. I was thinking to myself, ‘What are we doing the other 90 percent of the time?’ We were our own worst enemy,” said McGillivray.

 He realized it was time to start over at Scot Forge and build a new culture. The purpose of the safety process wasn’t just to manage compliance but to manage performance by protecting employees and being good steward of the company’s resources.

McGillivray defined culture as the beliefs, expectations and practices that make up “the way we do things around here.” Culture, which he noted plays a huge factor in safety performance, is created by management’s beliefs put into action. Employees take their cues from management:

  • The expectations management sets
  • Their decisions and actions
  • Communications
  • Engagement/involvement
  • Willingness to accept and act upon input
  • Recognition of accomplishments (what and how).

While the company adopted several new programs and processes, the one that had the most impact in McGillivray’s opinion was situational awareness training. He offered this example for educating employees about situational awareness:

Look at the cuts, scars, bruises on your arms and hands.

  • What percentage was caused by a missing OSHA program?
  • What percentage was caused by an equipment malfunction?
  • What percentage was caused by someone else injuring you?
  • What percentage was caused by something within your control or preventable with a little better pre-planning?

The company implemented the SafeStart program in August 2010, and it teaches four techniques to overcome issues that contribute to injuries such as rushing, frustration, fatigue or complacency. Employees conduct pre-task assessments that encourage them to stop and take a moment to really concentrate on the tasks ahead of them.

Not only have injuries shown a substantial decrease as a result of improving the safety culture, but quality has improved. Said McGillivray. “We dramatically reduced our quality issues while simultaneously reducing our injuries. A quality error is thought of like an injury to a customer.”

About the Author

Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith is the former content director of EHS Today, and is currently the EHSQ content & community lead at Intelex Technologies Inc. She has written about occupational safety and health and environmental issues since 1990.

Sponsored Recommendations

Free Webinar: ISO 45001 – A Commitment to Occupational Health, Safety & Personal Wellness

May 30, 2024
Secure a safer and more productive workplace using proven Management Systems ISO 45001 and ISO 45003.

ISO 45003 – Psychological Health and Safety at Work

May 30, 2024
ISO 45003 offers a comprehensive framework to expand your existing occupational health and safety program, helping you mitigate psychosocial risks and promote overall employee...

DH Pace, national door and dock provider, reduces TRIR and claims with EHS solution

May 29, 2024
Find out how DH Pace moved from paper/email/excel to an EHS platform, changing their culture. They reduced TRIR from 4.8 to 1.46 and improved their ability to bid on and win contracts...

Case Study: Improve TRIR from 4+ to 1 with EHS Solution and Safety Training

May 29, 2024
Safety training and EHS solutions improve TRIR for Complete Mechanical Services, leading to increased business. Moving incidents, training, and other EHS procedures into the digital...

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of EHS Today, create an account today!