The American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) has announced they will hold a free coronavirus question-and-answer session geared toward occupational safety and health professionals.
The live online event starts at noon CT/1 p.m. ET Wednesday, March 18.
Expert advice will be provided during the one-hour session by ASSP President-Elect Deborah Roy, M.P.H., RN, CSP, who has more than 35 years of experience in the safety and health industry, including being a certified occupational health nurse specialist.
Participants will be able to ask questions and get answers from Roy, who provides safety training and consulting for global clients as president of SafeTech Consultants Inc. She is a former corporate director of health, safety and wellness for L.L.Bean who was directly involved in responses to global pandemics.
Some questions Roy expects to address include:
1) How would you describe the current hazard level at a typical workplace?
2) How can occupational safety and health professionals identify COVID-19 risks and help their employers strategically manage this health issue?
3) Can companies effectively implement coronavirus policies and enforcement protocols?
4) How is this virus different than the seasonal flu and other global pandemics we’ve seen in recent years?
5) Is personal protective equipment such as the N95 respirator a viable option to protect workers?
6) For safety and health professionals with global responsibilities, what are your recommendations for managing worldwide coordination of activities?
7) How do you protect workers who are more vulnerable to COVID-19 based on existing health conditions?
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, ASSP strongly recommends that everyone follow everyday guidelines from the World Health Organization that call on people to wash their hands frequently; practice good respiratory hygiene such as coughing into a bent elbow; maintain social distancing of at least 3 ft.; avoid touching their face; and stay home when feeling ill.
To register for the free coronavirus Q&A session, safety and health professionals can visit the ASSP online store.