The America's Safest Companies Class of 2014 is: The AES Corp., Alan Shintani Inc., Aqueos Corp., BL Harbert International LLC, The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory Inc., Dressbarn, Egan Co., Field Fastener, Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands South Carolina, Inteva Products LLC, Kirk Erectors Inc., Orica USA Inc., Price Industrial Electric Inc., Rockwell Automation Inc., SBM Management LP, Scot Forge Co., TP Mechanical, Watermark and Westar Energy Inc.
These representatives of safety excellence come in all shapes and sizes, from firms with several dozen employees to multinational corporations with tens of thousands of employees. But they have one thing in common: They believe that there's nothing more important than protecting their workers, the environment and the communities in which they operate.
"Our motto is Safety Brings You Home," says Jim Malecha of Egan Co., a specialty contractor. "Several years ago, we looked at adopting slogans like 'Zero Injuries' or 'Target Zero.' We felt these slogans were more about statistics than about our employees. We wanted a saying that emphasized to our employees that safety was about them and their families."
At Aqueos Corp., a commercial diving company that works with the oil and gas industry, stop-work authority is considered a responsibility of each employee, and occurs a number of times each shift, says J.B. Glass, CHST, CET, COSS, HSE manager. "Hazard identification is integrated into the work style of personnel. The culture supports ownership of a solution if a hazard is identified."
The achievements of Egan Co., Aqueos Corp., and the other 17 America's Safest Companies for 2014 were celebrated during EHS Today's Safety Leadership Conference in Indianapolis, from Oct. 27-29. The awards presentation was held on Oct. 28 at Ruth's Chris Steak House.
Since 2002, America's Safest Companies has honored 175 organizations for their unwavering commitment to worker safety and health and environmental stewardship. We'd like to thank our sponsor, MCR Safety, which has been with us since the very beginning and has been a true partner in our efforts to celebrate safety excellence.
Congratulations to the 2014 America's Safest Companies Winners!
- The AES Corporation - Arlington, VA
- Alan Shintani Inc. - Waipahu, HI
- Aqueos Corporation - Broussard, LA
- BL Harbert International - Birmingham, AL
- The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, Inc. - Cambridge, MA
- dressbarn - Mahwah, NJ
- Egan Company - Brooklyn Park, MN
- Field Fastener - Machesney Park, IL
- Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands SC - Greenville, SC
- Inteva Products LLC - Troy, MI
- Kirk Erectors - Golden, CO
- Orica USA Inc. - Watkins, CO
- Price Industrial Electric Inc. - Hiawatha, IA
- Rockwell Automation - Milwaukee, WI
- SBM Management LP - McClellan, CA
- Scot Forge Company - Spring Grove, IL
- TP Mechanica - Cincinnati, OH
- Watermark - Lowell, MA
- Westar Energy Inc. - Topeka, KS