Blind spot awareness poster from ARTBA, in partnership with NIOSH
The American Road and Transportation Builders Association (www.artba.org) has introduced a safety training video aimed at helping managers, operators and workers avoid struck-by fatalities and injuries. “Avoiding Runovers & Backovers” provides common sense tips and information about safe work procedures to reduce and/or eliminate the hazards that can lead to death and injury for road construction workers.
Also available from ARTBA is a “Know the Blind Spots” poster, created in cooperation with the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health to illustrate various hazards created by construction vehicles. To order free copies, contact Omar Lopez at [email protected].
New Web Site Provides High-Quality Construction Photos Free of Charge
The CPWR - Center for Construction Research and Training has launched a new Web site to provide high-quality safety and health photos to the construction industry free of charge.
All photos found on eLCOSH Images site, www.elcosh.org/images, have descriptions of the hazard or hazard control and the trades involved, as well as citations on “good” or “bad” practices, the CWPR said.
Report Focuses on Fall Prevention in Construction
Researchers from the New York State Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (NY FACE) program investigated the death of a worker who fell while positioning precast concrete floor slabs in a high-rise building under construction. Specific factors that may be common to other similar construction projects were identified during the investigation; the preventive measures proposed can be used in preventing fatal falls. Email [email protected] or call 866-807-2130.
Order Complete Set of ANSI/ISEA Standards at Deep Discount
ISEA is offering a complete set of its American National Standards and the use and selection guide for eye and face protection at 30 percent off the price of purchasing the publications individually. For $325 including shipping, safety officers can get all the following publications in a convenient three-ring binder:
- American National Standard for Limited-Use and Disposable Coveralls - Size and Labeling Requirements, ANSI/ISEA 101-1996 (R2008)
- American National Standard for Gas Detector Tube Units - Short Term Type for Toxic Gases and Vapors in Working Environments, ANSI/ISEA 102-1990 (R2009)
- American National Standard for Air Sampling Devices - Diffusive Type for Gases and Vapors in Working Environments, ANSI/ISEA 104-1998 (R2009)
- American National Standard for Hand Protection Selection Criteria, ANSI/ISEA 105-2005
- American National Standard for High Visibility Safety Apparel and Headwear, ANSI/ISEA 107-2010
- American National Standard for Air-Purifying Respiratory Protective Smoke Escape Devices, ANSI/ISEA 110-2009
- American National Standard for Fixed and Portable Decontamination Shower Units, ANSI/ISEA 113-2008
- American National Standard for High Visibility Public Safety Vests, ANSI/ISEA 207-2006
- American National Standard for Occupational and Educational Personal Eye and Face Protection Devices, ANSI/ISEA Z87.1-2003
- American National Standard for Industrial Head Protection, ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2009
- American National Standard - Minimum Requirements for Workplace First Aid Kits and Supplies, ANSI/ISEA Z308.1-2009
- American National Standard for Emergency Eyewash and Shower Equipment, ANSI/ISEA Z358.1-2009
- Eye and Face Protection Use and Selection Guide
Order directly from or download a faxable order form at www.safetyequipment.org.