The Senate Appropriations Committee, by voice vote, has approved the budget for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). The budget will now go to the full Senate for approval. Once approved there, it will then go to a Conference Committee of the House of Representatives and the Senate to work out the differences.
As it stands today, here are the figures included in the budget:
- $426 million appropriated in 2001
- $426 million proposed budget for 2002 (level-funded)
- $435.3 million approved by the House
- $450.3 million approved by the Senate Committee
- $260 million appropriated in 2001
- $266 million proposed budget for 2002
- $270.1 million approved by the House
- $276.1 million approved by the Senate Committee
Insiders say the final figures will be closer to the amounts approved by the Senate Appropriations Committee. We''ll keep you posted.
by Sandy Smith